One of London’s favourite summertime cinema experiences under the stars
Celebrating ten years of classic, cult, and contemporary films in its open-air courtyard, Film4 Summer Screen at Somerset House is back for a bumper birthday season in August. For 14 nights, back-to-back great films will feature on London’s largest screen with full surround sound in the spectacular neoclassical setting of Somerset House. To mark its milestone season, an array of anniversary activities will also accompany around the site including industry insider talks, workshops, family events, and a film poster print exhibition.
Film4 Summer Screen at Somerset House will stage a typically eclectic mix of movies, ranging from red-carpet premieres, comedy, romance and musicals to thrillers, action, horrors and foreign-language films. Film aficionados will appreciate that part of the programme will be projected from 35mm film reels as well as digitally. This year’s line-up will include the John Waters’ musical with big hair and a big heart Hairspray, the deliciously dysfunctional family comedy from Wes Anderson, The Royal Tenenbaums, the dazzling double trouble of Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and the award-winning modern Italian masterpiece The Great Beauty.
Film4 Summer Screen at Somerset House
7 – 20 August 2014
- Film4 Summer Screen at Somerset House celebrates 10th anniversary this August
- Featured more than 100 films and attended by almost 200,000 people since 2005
- First four films for 2014 line-up announced: Hairspray, The Royal Tenenbaums, Gentleman Prefer Blondes and The Great Beauty
- Array of anniversary activities on site including Summer Screen Prints exhibition with Print Club London
- Full announcement of films and tickets on sale in May