SHOWFILMFIRST SCRIPTWRITING PROJECT FOR NEW TALENT
As a means of encouraging new and a greater diversity of screen writing talent in the UK, SHOWFILMFIRST (in collaboration with Metrodome and Film London) hosted the first LONDON SCREENWRITING WORKSHOP on Saturday, July 21st.
Upon completion of the programme, SHOWFILMFIRST invited participants to enter a competition to write a “film treatment”; (that is a brief outline, no more than a single page) for an idea for a movie.
All entrants will be read by a panel of film industry experts and the authors of the best 20 “treatments” will be given to Metrodome to read and select the winner.
STATEMENT OF INTENT
The opportunity amounts to a statement of intent by SHOWFILMFIRST to encourage new writing talent in the UK and to provide a route for new work to reach industry professionals for their consideration.
SHOWFILMFIRST undertake to ensure:
- that ALL entrants are read and/or considered by industry professionals.
- that a maximum of 20 entrants will be selected for submission to Metrodome to choose a winner
Please note that the potential acquisition of any or all eligible films treatments will be dependent upon commercial considerations and on the author securing an acquisition deal from a distributor which cannot be guaranteed. SHOWFILMFIRST are simply guaranteeing that all entrants will be read by UK film industry professionals and that the six qualifying “film treatments” will be read by a representative selection of UK independent film distributors.
It is anticipated that in the event of an acquisition, any deals that are done will conform to industry practice.
The acquisition of the treatment to be negotiated between author and the relevant interested film distributor and subject to their contractual negotiations.
In the event of the commercial exploitation of the winning idea, (following completion of development process and subject to any acquisition agreement) it is anticipated that the winner’s contribution will be equitably remunerated according to the extent of their contribution in accordance with standard industry practice.
Their contribution will also be publicized and will include an on-screen credit dependent upon, and relevant to, their contribution to the final script.
COMPETITION TERMS AND CONDITIONS
By submitting their entry, the writer(s) of the winning treatment s agree to abide by the terms and conditions of the competition as set out by SHOWFILMFIRST.
All entries must be submitted electronically to press@showfilmfirst.
All entries must conform to a single format, which should be no longer than a single page of text, with a font size of 11 or 12 and 1.5 line spacing.
Ideas should be suitable for commercial exploitation across a UK audience.
Closing date for entries is: 31st August 2012
All entrants will receive acknowledgement of entry.
SHOWFILMFIRST will NOT enter into correspondence with entrants following submission of entries.
The names of the winner will be announced on the SHOWFILMFIRST blog.
The Judges decision will be final.
All rights will be retained by the authors pending any potential acquisition deal.
1). The Entry must be an original idea, unless
– the original/underlying work is in the public domain. (Entrants may be called upon to demonstrate that the underlying work is in the public domain should their entry be short-listed).
2). must be the author’s own work, it may be a collaborative effort but all people must be credited. Collaborative work is eligible, provided all contributions are credited, and all collaborators confirm participation.
3). The decision of the Judges is final.
4). By submitting an entry to the competition, the entrant agrees to abide by the rules set out by SHOWFILMFIRST.
5). By submitting an entry to the competition, the entrant warrants that their entry;
– is their own original work and that they have the right to make it available to SHOWFILMFIRST for all the purposes specified above; and
– does not infringe any law;
– agree to indemnify SHOWFILMFIRST against all legal fees, damages and other expenses that may be incurred as a result of any breach of the above warranties; and
– waive any moral rights in their idea for all the purposes specified above, including its submission to the competition and its development and potential production.
• This contest is open to anyone.
• Entries will only be accepted utilising the official entry form.
• A contact email address MUST be included
• Entries MUST be emailed.
Format: One page in 1.5 line spacing and font of 11 or 12 pitch
• Multiple entries are permissible, but each entry must be accompanied by a separate Entry Form
• Entrants must be 16 years or over .
• Contest applicants must accept without reservation the decisions rendered by the judges.
• The work or submitted material must not have been previously optioned, sold, or produced for
• Entrants should retain at least one copy of the submitted material, and understand that all
material received will not be returned under any circumstances.
• Entries should be submitted by end of day (GMT) 31st August 2012, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, headed: SFF Treatment Entry.
Receipt of entries will be acknowledged by email.
No liability, financial or otherwise lies with SHOWFILMFIRST arising from this contest.
SHOWFILMFIRST is not responsible for late or lost submissions.
• By entering this contest and in the event you are declared a finalist, you understand and accept that we will be free to use your name and likeness for advertising or promotional purposes without additional consideration.
• If you are a finalist you agree to give permission to post on the SHOWFILM FIRST
web site your treatment’s logline
Submission of your treatment to the competition amounts to acceptance of these rules.